To raise awareness of the plight of tea farmers, the Fairtrade Foundation have produced a short film showing us all how buying Fairtrade benefits the farmers, workers and the communities they live in with the Fairtrade premium going on to help purchase things like ambulances, improving schools and providing basics like drinking water. The short film focuses on the lives of two tea farmers who are directly affected by fair trade every day.
The file titled ‘Fairtrade Matters’ will be available to watch from Monday 23rd February but if you can’t wait until then, you can watch the trailer of the film here.
To celebrate fair trade fortnight we thought we would share with you our favourite chocolate cake mug recipe which contains both Fairtrade chocolate and sugar and is the perfect accompaniment to a Fairtrade cup of tea! A mug cake is perfect for those times when you would love a little cake but don’t want to bake a whole one – the perfect treat for one.
The moistest Fairtrade Chocolate Mug Cake Ever!
- 1-cup plain flour
- 2tbsps. Fairtrade Cocoa
- 2tbsps Fairtrade caster sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4tsp baking powder
- 2tbsps. Vegetable Oil
- ¼ Cup (and an extra splash) of Milk
- You could also add some Fairtrade chocolate chips or nuts at this point depending on your preference. If you would prefer you could add a teaspoon of Fairtrade chocolate and hazelnut spread or Fairtrade peanut butter.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl
- Add in the milk and oil and whisk together until there are no clumps
- If you are adding any nuts or chocolate chips, fold them through now
- Pour into a microwave-mug (chose a larger mug)
- If you are adding a chocolate & hazelnut spread or peanut butter, drop it into the centre of the batter – no need to push it down, it will sink.
- Put a piece of kitchen towel in the bottom of your microwave (to catch any overflowing batter!) and place your mug on top.
- Microwave on high for 70 seconds. Please note that as every microwave is different so this time may change. I did it for 70 seconds then checked and topped it up with 10 second burst until you get the perfect cake. As this recipe doesn’t include any egg, you can eat it slightly undercooked ,which I would recommend more than overcooking!
- Carefully remove from the microwave and wait a minute of two and enjoy! Delicious with a Fairtrade cuppa!