1kg Chicken breast
1 heaped tablespoon of finely grated fresh ginger
3 cloves of garlic, minced
150g thick (plain) yogurt
1 dried red chilli
2 finely chopped onions
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp ground coriander
Pinch of ground black pepper
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
75g creamed coconut
salt, to taste
2 heaped tbsps ground almonds
finely chopped Coriander Leaves, to garnish
Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks
- Mix chicken with the ginger, garlic and yogurt. Cover and marinade for 12 hours or in the fridge overnight.
- Liquidise the chopped onion and red chillies, add a little water if you need to. Blend until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the ground coriander, ground black pepper, turmeric and garam masala and stir fry for about 1-minute over a low heat.
- Turn up the heat, add the onion and chilli paste and stir fry for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and the marinade and continue to stir fry for another 10 minutes.
- Add the creamed coconut and enough water to just cover the chicken and bring to the boil, stirring until the coconut is dissolved. Stir in the ground almonds.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and simmer until the chicken is tender (30-40 minutes).
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and salt to taste. Mix well.
- I served this with Basmati rice, naan bread, poppadom and mango chutney. Eat and enjoy!