Thursday 11th May is Somerset Day and as a proud Somerset Business we wanted to share with you some of our favourite things about living and working in sunny Somerset.
We have been based in Wincanton, Somerset since Myakka was founded in 1999. There are so many amazing things to do here: it’s not all cider, cheese and festivals!
- Exploring Ham Hill – this hill and surrounding Country Park is a great walk. Walk up the hill to see the war memorial and then back down to get a Sunday roast in the pub. There's a stone circle, iron age ramparts and time stones.
- Over 60km of Somerset coast line - and lots of towns and villages along the way making exploring the coastline great fun. Who could resist an ice cream or fish and chips from Burnham-on-Sea or Minehead?
- Explore beautiful Wells Cathedral – considered to be one of the most beautiful of England’s gothic cathedrals, this is really worth a visit. Wells is England smallest city and well worth a walk around once you have finished admiring the amazing stain glass windows of the Cathedral.
- Bath’s Roman Baths - a visit to Bath is often high on the list of priorities when visiting Somerset and the Roman Baths are well worth the trip. No visit is complete without trying some of the interesting tasting spa water itself.
- Cheddar Gorge – This Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is well worth a visit along with the village of Cheddar itself. You can even take a tour of a cheese company which still uses Cheddar caves to age its cheese.
- Hauser & Wirth Bruton – this unique art gallery is on a restored 18th century farm. With different contemporary artist shows and exhibits, this gallery in the pretty village of Bruton is great for a stroll – best of all, its free to browse.
- The Frome Independent Market – Frome is a lovely town to visit without the market but the monthly market makes it a great day out. Filled with local and artisan stall holders you can buy anything from locally produced cheese and charcuterie to a one-of-a-kind lampshade or clothing.
- Montacute House – This National Trust property is a great family day out. An amazing Elizabethan house (where lots of films and dramas have been filmed) and beautiful grounds make a fun trip for both old and young. The Long Gallery in the house also features an exhibition from the National Portrait Gallery of Elizabethan & Jacobean portraits.
Whether or not any of these attractions appeal, there is something for everyone in Somerset. Stuffed full of history and culture it is a great place to visit, live or work.
We will leave you with our favourite Somerset fact – There are over 400 different varieties of cider apple grown in Somerset!
To find out more about visiting Someset here. And if you're in the area - pop in for some Myakka shopping! We're waiting to welcome you, just 2 minutes off the A303, turn off at Wincanton.